Re: random quirkyness

On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 04:48:43PM -0600, Mike Myers wrote:
> On 1/23/07, Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
> >
> >Mike, please don't cc: me as I subscribe to the list. thanks.
>

> I apologize, I'm using gmail and it did that automatically for some
> reason.

> >been
> >I'm

> >debian

> >> I'm pretty sure it's not related to xorg, since it works fine after
> >running
> >> 'apt-get --reinstall install nvidia-glx', even with a widescreen.
> >It's
> >only
> >> after a reboot that I must run that, as long as I want to use the
> >nvidia
> >> driver.  If I use the 'nv' driver, then of course there's no issue
> >there,
> >> but that driver sucks.  Just to oblige you, here's the contents:
> >(hopefully
> >> it looks sane enough to read)
> >>

> >so, what exactly happens when you *don't* apt-get install nvidia-glx?
> >what output do you get?
>

> It tries to start and then fails, saying it can't find the nvidia module,
> even though it's loaded.  So I get a blank screen.

one thing you could do, to make sure you're loading the right module,
is to use insmod /path/to/the/right/module instead of modprobe, which
may, I suppose, be grabbing the wrong one. or modprobe -v should show
you the command it is using when inserting the module. regardless,
though, you shouldn't have to insert the module in advance. xorg
should do it for you, IIRC.

> >> Here's the output of 'dpkg -l'.  Maybe you can explain what it means?
> >>
> >> 'debian:~# dpkg -l | grep nvidia
> >> ii  nvidia-glx                        1.0.8776-4
> >                      NVIDIA
> >> binary XFree86 4.x driver
> >> rc  nvidia-glx-legacy                 1.0.7184-3
> >                      NVIDIA
> >> binary Xorg driver (legacy version)
> >> ii  nvidia-kernel-2.6-686             1.0.8776+5
> >                      NVIDIA
> >> binary kernel module for 2.6 series c
> >
> >****
> >> ii  nvidia-kernel-2.6.18-3-686        1.0.8776+5
> >                      NVIDIA
> >> binary kernel module for Linux 2.6.18
> >****
> >

> >ii  nvidia-kernel-common              20051028+1
> >NVIDIA
> >> binary kernel module common files
> >
> >****
> >> ii  nvidia-kernel-legacy-2.6.18-3-486 1.0.7184+5
> >                      NVIDIA
> >> binary kernel module for Linux 2.6.18
> >****
> >

> >hmmm... you have two sets of nvidia kernel modules installed. That may
> >contribute to the problem. purge one of them (probably the legacy one)
> >and see what happens. There for different architectures, so it
> >*shouldn't* matter, but what the heck...
>

> This might have happened when I was trying to narrow down which one I
> needed.  I didn't realize the legacy drivers were still installed.  I'll
> try
> removing those and see if it makes a difference.  It might be loading the
> legacy one, I guess, which would explain why xorg fails to start at
> first.

let us know what happens...