Re: random quirkyness

On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 02:41:40PM -0600, Mike Myers wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm still trying to adjust from Gentoo's way of doing things (do it
> manually) to debian's (apt-something) way.  So far everything has been
> great, but i'm having trouble finding docs on a couple of issues I'm
> having.  Both of them seem related to modules.
>
> First one is with the nvidia driver.  It seems like everytime my debian box
> is rebooted, I have to re-apt-get nvidia-glx before I can use xorg.  Also,
> GDM doesn't seem to like my 1440x900 (widescreen) resolution and I can't
> seem to do anything about it other than just not use GDM (not that ditching
> it is a big deal).

I can't speak to the resolution issue, but the xorg issue should not
be happening. when you re-apt-get it, does it download it again and
appear to be actually reinstalling it? I wonder if your xorg.conf is
not getting updated correctly and you are correcting for it by
reinstalling each time. how about a copy of your xorg.conf for us to
look at as well as dpkg -l | grep nvidia

> The other issue is that I have two soundcards.  That in itself isn't a
> problem, but the it is a problem with the way debian apparently handles
> them, which seems to be the most random thing I've ever seen.  When it boots
> up, it picks one or the other so sometimes it works and sometimes it
> doesn't.  I can run alsa-conf to get it to use the correct one, but it's
> annoying doing it every time, especially when having to apt-get nvidia-glx
> after rebooting also.

sounds like a udev problem. default udev rules are not necessarily
predictable in terms of how it assigns device nodes to hardware. you
may need to write some custom udev rules to get your soundcards
recognised properly. check the archives from about a month ago for a
couple threads on using multiple sound cards.