Re: NTP dynamic servers?

On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 08:53:55PM +0100, Bruno Voigt wrote:
> >How about calling the init.d script from /etc/network/interfaces?
> >
> >I mean, there is little need for having the deamon running while
> >offline and providing that your clock does not drift too much, that
> >should do it.
> >
> That is hard to configure reliable because of stuff like openvpn that
> also needs a varying timespan to settle etc..
> So I would really like to know a way to tell ntpd to not give up on a
> server entry if it is not reachable/resolvable on the first try:
>
> Jan 23 21:06:27 europa ntpd_initres[5255]: host name not found:
> 0.debian.pool.ntp.org ???
> Jan 23 21:06:27 europa ntpd_initres[5255]: couldn't resolve
> `0.debian.pool.ntp.org', giving up on it ???

If you really wish to have ntpd running all the time, you can still
add/remove peers dynamically.
ntpdc -c addserver peer_address [keyid] [version] [prefer]
ntpdc -c unconfig peer_address

I don't there is any way to get away from the synchronization time
though. So running ntpd without peers versus not running it at all
should not make any difference except if your clock is very biased and
you stay offline for a long time. I also do not know what happen at
startup to correct for the skew of the rtc during the shutdown. If it is
taken care of by ntpd at start, then you have one less reason to leave
it on...

jacques