Re: Help! Can't login or su, but SSH is ok... [solved]

The winbind entries were still in /etc/nsswitch.conf, but removing them didn't help.

What did help was removing use_first_pass from /etc/pam.d/common-auth.

Doh!  Serves me right for trying to fix problems at the end of the day...

Thanks for your pointer though, Kevin! I did have to clean up nsswitch.conf anyway, and doing so made me look up more about nsswitch.conf, where I found various examples that added use_first_pass to PAM config files. That's when I decided to try taking it out.

Looking into it some more now, I realize that I was confusing use_first_pass's semantics with try_first_pass's. Indeed, with try_first_pass in common-auth things work just fine. Sigh...

		Marc