Re: CPU0: Temperature above threshold

On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 12:35:55PM +0200, Justin Hartman wrote:
> On 1/17/07, Danesh Daroui <Danesh.D@bredband.net> wrote:
> >I remember someone else had same problem. If I am right, he installed
> >"cpufreqd" on his machine and CPU action was under control on his notebook.
>
> Thanks Danesh. Now for an intersting one:- trying to install via apt
> and get this message:
>
> $ Setting up cpufreqd (2.2.1-2) ...
> $ No cpufreq interface found, not starting cpufreqd.

so you can't use that method. but before you run around trying stop
gap measures, see if you can figure out what's going on first.

1) is this a new problem on a machine you are familiar with? or a new
   problem on a new (to you) machine?

2) have you cracked the case and cleaned out all the damn cat hair?

3) is your cpu fan working properly? if it makes any noise other than
   air movement, then its *not* working properly and needs to be
   replaced/cleaned. How about any case fans?

4) are you using sensors? are they configured properly so you can
   actually get good readings from them? what temp is that thing
   running at? what temp does the bios say? (reboot -- enter bios and
   look at it).

5) etc etc etc

sorry to go over all the basics, but if this is a new problem on a
machine that has not had problems before, then these simple things
will likely lead you to a solution. Messing around with cpu throttling
is only a bandaid for an otherwise simple problem like dirty heatsinks
and failing fans...