Re: Starts another X server with different virtual terminal (for with use USB VGA) ?

On 1/16/07, Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:
Ben Lau wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  I have a USB VGA device which is supprted by
> xserver-xorg-video-sisusb. As it is not always be plugged into my
> computer(A Debian SID machine). I don't prefer to have a dual-head
> monitor ServerLayout in my default xorg.conf. Instead I want to start
> another X server manually so that I could keep my current X session
> alive.
>
>  A seperate Xorg.conf was saved in /etc/X11/xorg.conf-sisusb, and
> then the Xorg is executed by the command:
>
> $ sudo Xorg -- -config /etc/X11/xorg.conf-sisusb :1
>
> (The conf file is attached in the email. The session of input device
> is missed as I don't want it to use my keyboard in the test)
>
>  I could see the X cursor show on the monitor which is connected to
> the USB VGA. The X  should be running fine,  but I lost my current X
> in the original monitor. The screen is dark. Unless I press
> "Alt+Ctrl+F7" to switch back. Then it will cause the newly started X
> be dark. (Should be returned by "Alt+Ctrl+F8")
>
>  Seem that they shared the same virtual terminal (is it the right way
> to describe the problem?).The "XFree86 Local Multi-User Howto"
> suggested a method to solve but require a patched kernel. Any other
> way to solve the problem?

Not true. It requires a patched kernel in Sarge, not Etch/Sid.

I wrote a wiki on the process:
http://wiki.debian.org/Multi_Seat_Debian_HOWTO

Hugo

Thanks for reply. I have read your wiki before sent the email.
However, I am not quite understand how to do. Why it need to create  a
symbolic link of X servers but nothing to do with gdm? Moreover, I
don't have seperate keyboard & mouse attached for secondary
display(USB VGA) and therefore I just leave section of input device
empty for xorg.conf-sisusb.