how to get rid of this broken package?

I've a broken package which is set for reinstallation:

# dpkg -C

 spampd               spamassassin based SMTP/LMTP proxy daemon

some of the files of this package are already missing due to an error of the

sysadmin (its me :)

But any attempt to remove or upgrade or reinstall the package fails, cause the

scripts cannot be executed anymore:

# dpkg -P --force-all  spampd

dpkg - warning, overriding problem because --force enabled:

 Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should

 reinstall it before attempting a removal.

(Reading database ... 121239 files and directories currently installed.)

Removing spampd ...

 * ERROR: Insufficient privileges. Retry as root

invoke-rc.d: initscript spampd, action "stop" failed.

dpkg: error processing spampd (--purge):

 subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 4

 * ERROR: Insufficient privileges. Retry as root

invoke-rc.d: initscript spampd, action "start" failed.

dpkg: error while cleaning up:

 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 4

 spampd

But even reinstall does not work:

# aptitude reinstall spampd

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree

Reading state information... Done

Initializing package states... Done

Building tag database... Done

The following packages will be REINSTALLED:

  spampd

0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 7 not

upgraded.

Need to get 0B/53.5kB of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.

Writing extended state information... Done

(Reading database ... 121249 files and directories currently installed.)

Preparing to replace spampd 2.30-11 (using .../spampd_2.30-11_all.deb) ...

 * ERROR: Insufficient privileges. Retry as root

invoke-rc.d: initscript spampd, action "stop" failed.

dpkg: warning - old pre-removal script returned error exit status 4

dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...

 * ERROR: Insufficient privileges. Retry as root

invoke-rc.d: initscript spampd, action "stop" failed.

dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/spampd_2.30-11_all.deb (--unpack):

 subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 4

spampd.postinst: Aborting upgrade

spampd.postinst: Not creating statoverrides on abort-upgrade. other version: 2.30-11

 * ERROR: Insufficient privileges. Retry as root

invoke-rc.d: initscript spampd, action "start" failed.

dpkg: error while cleaning up:

 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 4

 /var/cache/apt/archives/spampd_2.30-11_all.deb

A package failed to install.  Trying to recover:

dpkg: error processing spampd (--configure):

 Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should

 reinstall it before attempting configuration.

 spampd

What can I do?  Can I delete all the files of the package manually and somehow

tell the system that this package is not installed anymore?

I also tried # dpkg -i and same problem.

Any help appretiated.

thnx,

peter