Re: how to get rid of this broken package?

On Tue, 2007-01-16 at 01:24 +0100, peter pilsl wrote:

> I've a broken package which is set for reinstallation:
>

> # dpkg -C
>
>   spampd               spamassassin based SMTP/LMTP proxy daemon

Here is what I have done in the past to FIX these kinds of problems when
SOMEONE has gone and removed pieces outside of using apt, dpkg, etc...

I extract the .deb to a temporary location, then do a comparison to the
things that are bad and replace them with the ones from the extract.

As root:

        cd
        mkdir extract
        cd extract
        dpkg-deb -X /var/cache/apt/archives/spampd_2.30-11_all.deb .

You'll notice that all the files are extracted in /root/extract/ you can
then pick and choose the files to replace.

Now, if you really are horked, and you do not feel like fixing things
piece meal and have the skills (read as COMPLETE understanding of
Debian's .deb packaging) and may possibly hork your system WORSE... and
will not blame me...

As root:

        cd /
        dpkg-deb -X /var/cache/apt/archives/spampd_2.30-11_all.deb .
        dpkg --configure -a
        aptitude purge spampd

If this blows up machine, blame only yourself. If it fixes it, you have
learned a valuable lesson.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is