Re: IP Address networking - best way?

On Friday 12 January 2007 18:00, Greg Folkert wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-01-12 at 09:44 +0200, Justin Hartman wrote:
> [...snip...]
>
> > Without making a single change to the interfaces file I issued a
> > /etc/init.d/networking restart command and low and behold my
> > network just went down again with no access to the server so now
> > I'm wondering if this has to do with the whole networking restart
> > or the interfaces file itself.
>
> Ok. Let me see. Are you using the network to access the machine at
> the time you issue the "/etc/init.d/networking restart".
>
> Lets think that through, you are connected to the machine through the
> network. You then do a FULL start-stop-daemon (a program) restart on
> the networking devices.
>
> Hmmm. I wonder why when you basically TURN OFF the networking and
> clear connections, your access DROPS. Wow, that's a tough one to
> finger.

Mild sarcasm is all very well, but I think it you look more closely its
not the going down that Justin is worried about but the not coming back
up.

What he doesn't say is what daemon he also wants to come up (sshd or
telnetd or something) and how that is configured in terms of the
interface it listens on.  Also the gateway (which seems to have a
completely different ip address - so presumably is another router)
needs to be configured to represent the ip addresses on the interfaces.

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk