Re: IP Address networking - best way?

On Sat, 2007-01-13 at 00:29 +0000, Alan Chandler wrote:
> On Friday 12 January 2007 18:00, Greg Folkert wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-01-12 at 09:44 +0200, Justin Hartman wrote:
> > [...snip...]
> >
> > > Without making a single change to the interfaces file I issued a
> > > /etc/init.d/networking restart command and low and behold my
> > > network just went down again with no access to the server so now
> > > I'm wondering if this has to do with the whole networking restart
> > > or the interfaces file itself.
> >
> > Ok. Let me see. Are you using the network to access the machine at
> > the time you issue the "/etc/init.d/networking restart".
> >
> > Lets think that through, you are connected to the machine through the
> > network. You then do a FULL start-stop-daemon (a program) restart on
> > the networking devices.
> >
> > Hmmm. I wonder why when you basically TURN OFF the networking and
> > clear connections, your access DROPS. Wow, that's a tough one to
> > finger.
>
> Mild sarcasm is all very well, but I think it you look more closely its
> not the going down that Justin is worried about but the not coming back
> up.

The start-stop-daemon setup typically clears the hardware for
networking. Unless NFS is active.

Once the Shell gets dropped the execution does to. Screen is you friend.

Plus adding the addresses with "/sbin/ip" way ensures you don't cut
yourself off.

> What he doesn't say is what daemon he also wants to come up (sshd or
> telnetd or something) and how that is configured in terms of the
> interface it listens on.  Also the gateway (which seems to have a
> completely different ip address - so presumably is another router)
> needs to be configured to represent the ip addresses on the interfaces.

The gateway is the SAME on every alias. He doesn't need a different
gateway for every IP address. Plus if you look his subnet-mask is the
same, so in theory he would also not even need to worry abut the
subnet-mask.

The thing about assigning multiple IP Addresses in the same subnet is
that the routing needs to be that same for default gateways, else the
routing tables in the Kernel will get exceptionally confused or will
work but "not as expected".

The initial eth0 gets the default gateway assigned to it
though /etc/network/interfaces, you do not need to add it for every
other IP address on the same NIC in the same subnet. Now if you had the
70.87.206.50/24 and then added, say, 172.16.100.41/16 to it... then you
would need to address the default gateway for THAT subnet and alias. Of
course you realize that having multiple networks (other than VLAN setups
and ppp stuff) on the same wire *IS* a protocol violation and is not
guaranteed to work well if at all. It comes down to your switch/router
and OS to get it right.

........not intended as an insult.........
I suggest you read up on IP administration.
^^^^^^^^not intended as an insult^^^^^^^^^
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, better, faster:  Linux