Re: IP Address networking - best way?

On 1/12/07, Alan Chandler wrote:
I don't think that is an issue.  My /etc/network/interfaces file
follows.  Essentially this machine is my router connecting via eth0 to
the internet (and using dhcp from my ISP to get me an IP address - and
prerunning the firewall as it comes up) on the lan side are a set of
interfaces from a single network card based around eth1.  This all
works perfectly and eth1 and eth1:0 have separate ip addresses.
[SNIP]

I have to admit I am now more confused than ever - not because of your
post Alan but because this issue seems to have little to do with the
interfaces file and more to do with /etc/init.d/networking restart.

Yesterday I made some changes to the server and from terminal I
rebooted the server. When the system booted up (without problems) I
first became aware that eth0:0 was not loading at boot time and I had
to manually run "ifup eth0:0" to get the interface up and running
which is why I posted back onto this thread.

Without making a single change to the interfaces file I issued a
/etc/init.d/networking restart command and low and behold my network
just went down again with no access to the server so now I'm wondering
if this has to do with the whole networking restart or the interfaces
file itself.

I wonder if the original poster is having problems because he needs to
allow ip forwarding.

Not sure about this and I don't know how to check this out either.
Sorry I know I'm seeming very dumb right now but networking is not
something I'm very good at and I'm learning as I go along here...

Thank for all your patience
--
Regards
Justin Hartman