Re: [OT/Sometimes Windows is better] Horrible GNOME File Picker (Was: Open (helper application chooser) for iceweasel/icedove is too simple)

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 10:32:08 -0000
marc <gmane@auxbuss.com> wrote:

> > For me Opus 8 is too bloated.
>
> Bloated is one of those spurious apparent criticisms that doesn't
> mean anything, though. In any case, why would anyone translate the
> "bloat" when porting functions to Linux?

Maybe I misused the term, but I meant too many functions in program
that can make it slower and too complicated.

> > Total Commander (former Windows Commander) is much faster
>
> In what way is Opus 8 slow? There's no lag in any file manager I've
> used recently - except those that poll through directories to perform
> "mime magic".

You are probably using current hw. Until recently I was running a
PIII-800. The difference between krusader and worker was obvious.

> In any case, my comment was not about the "best" file manager on
> Windows
> - which is just another emacs vs vim debate - but the fact that the
> Linux file managers could learn a lot from the mature file managers
> on Windows. If Total Commander has functions worthy of borrowing,
> then that's good too.

IMHO file managers on Windows are (sometimes) more developed because
(almost) nobody is using the shell. There are still lots of linux users
using *only* the shell for file managing, especially the more advanced
ones.

> > But I don't know what you mean by the two pane setup sentence.
> > Krusader has that by default.
>
> As I said, I use Krusader, but its limited layout options is a good
> example of what not to do, imo. IOW, a good example to learn from.

I think the best model in such cases is to use plugins as much as
possible. This way the user has the choice to install only the
functionality he really needs.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)