Re: wireless adapter/card recommendations?

John C wrote:

celejar wrote:
On 1/9/07, John C <zcar@satx.rr.com> wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm in the process of changing my home network from wired to
wireless and am trying to find a card for a desktop that will
work effortlessly with etch/sid.

Preferably one whose drivers are already available as part of
debian.

So far I've not done well and purchased one that did not work. It
turned out to have a Marvel Technology chip that is unusable
(education can be expensive).

What I'm looking for is a wireless adapter that will work with a
802.11g 54Mbps router. I'd prefer an internal PCI card, but an
external USB would also be fine.

Any and all suggestions would be welcome before I go shopping again.

Thanks.
John

1) This [0] is an unbeatable resource.
2) Madwifi [1] is terrific code, albeit unfree (it's in Debian
non-free). Cards that claim support for 108 Mbps probably use Atheros
chips that are supported by Madwifi, since 108 is a proprietary
Atheros extension to the 802.11g standard (you don't have to enable
108 [Turbo], of course]. I believe something similar holds for 125
Mbps and Broadcom chipsets.

Celejar

[0] http://linux-wless.passys.nl/
[1] madwifi.org

Thanks everyone for the responses.

It doesn't look like anything wireless works right out-of-the-box with Linux - at least not yet. But the link above looks like a good resource.

I think I'll go shopping now.

John

I recently saw a wireless Linksys device that didn't require drivers. You plug your NIC straight into the device, and voila, wireless networking. (After configuration...) It was around $90 as I recall, but hey - no drivers!

- GM