Re: wireless adapter/card recommendations?

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 17:11:41 -0600
John C <zcar@satx.rr.com> wrote:

> celejar wrote:
> > On 1/9/07, John C <zcar@satx.rr.com> wrote:
> >> Hi folks,
> >>
> >> I'm in the process of changing my home network from wired to
> >> wireless and am trying to find a card for a desktop that will
> >> work effortlessly with etch/sid.
> >>
> >> Preferably one whose drivers are already available as part of
> >> debian.
> >>
> >> So far I've not done well and purchased one that did not work. It
> >> turned out to have a Marvel Technology chip that is unusable
> >> (education can be expensive).
> >>
> >> What I'm looking for is a wireless adapter that will work with a
> >> 802.11g 54Mbps router. I'd prefer an internal PCI card, but an
> >> external USB would also be fine.
> >>
> >> Any and all suggestions would be welcome before I go shopping again.
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >> John
> >
> > 1) This [0] is an unbeatable resource.
> > 2) Madwifi [1] is terrific code, albeit unfree (it's in Debian
> > non-free). Cards that claim support for 108 Mbps probably use Atheros
> > chips that are supported by Madwifi, since 108 is a proprietary
> > Atheros extension to the 802.11g standard (you don't have to enable
> > 108 [Turbo], of course]. I believe something similar holds for 125
> > Mbps and Broadcom chipsets.
> >
> > Celejar
> >
> > [0] http://linux-wless.passys.nl/
> > [1] madwifi.org
> >

> Thanks everyone for the responses.
>
> It doesn't look like anything wireless works right out-of-the-box
> with Linux - at least not yet.  But the link above looks like a
> good resource.

I use a msi, pci ralink based card. It works fine. There is a free driver, not
in the kernel, experimental, but works for me in ad-hoc mode, didn't try master
mode. There is a debian package for the serialmonkey driver
http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com aptitude search ~dralink

I have a usb card based on ralink (from level 1) but that either locks the
machine or doesn't work.

A safer approach is probably to get a wireless router so there is no software
problem, but you still need support for each of the wireless machines.