Re: /etc/alternatives not working properly

It certainly does, I do not have all of these symlinks. Obviously, I can create them manually but I would prefer to know why they disappeared in the first place. What command is suppose to create them?

Thanks

Hi Wackojacko,
My guess would be to use 'aptitude reinstall' on the packages that
contain the alternative.

Tried this on sun-java packages and still no /usr/bin/java

Or maybe purge/install, but that would be much
harder to do if there are dependencies involved.

No go on this either?

I'd expect symlinks to
be created with postinstall scripts, so you may want to re-run them.
Those scripts are in /var/lib/dpkg/info/$PKG.postinstall and are usually
bash scripts.
Cheers,
Kev

Me too but having reinstalled java it didn't work :(. Also some of the links that are missing don't have postinstall scripts I could find.

Thanks for looking.

Wackojacko