Re: /etc/alternatives not working properly

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 08:43:36AM -0800, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 04:14:55PM +0000, Wackojacko wrote:
Due to changing partitions around I managed to mess up my Debian Sid AMD64 install. I reinstalled from scratch and then restored my /etc directory from a backup. Now none of the commands in /etc/alternative work (java, wx-config x-www-browser etc). All of the symlinks are present and I have tried update-alternatives --all with no luck.

If I add /etc/alternatives to my PATH then they work again, but I don't remember having to do this before.

Should /etc/alternatives be in my PATH, if so should I add it to /etc/profile. If not, anyone got any ideas how to restore the alternatives system to its former state?

Andrew

Thanks for the responses

not in my path... have you checked out /var/lib/dpkg/alternatives? its
all text files and may relate to your problem.

This seems to be just the options used by the update-alternatives command when --config is chosen. Seems OK.

hmmm... I did some more poking around, maybe this helps

typing x-www-browser loads iceweasel. so that works.
which x-www-browser returns /usr/bin/x-www-browser which is a symlink
to /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser. so, do you have symlinks in
/usr/bin (and probably elsewhere) that point to the /etc/alternatives
directory?
hth

It certainly does, I do not have all of these symlinks. Obviously, I can create them manually but I would prefer to know why they disappeared in the first place. What command is suppose to create them?

Thanks

Wackojacko