Re: /etc/alternatives not working properly

On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 08:43:36AM -0800, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 04:14:55PM +0000, Wackojacko wrote:
> > Due to changing partitions around I managed to mess up my Debian Sid
> > AMD64 install.  I reinstalled from scratch and then restored my /etc
> > directory from a backup.  Now none of the commands in /etc/alternative
> > work (java, wx-config x-www-browser etc).  All of the symlinks are
> > present and I have tried update-alternatives --all with no luck.
> >
> > If I add /etc/alternatives to my PATH then they work again, but I don't
> > remember having to do this before.
> >
> > Should /etc/alternatives be in my PATH, if so should I add it to
> > /etc/profile.  If not, anyone got any ideas how to restore the
> > alternatives system to its former state?
>
> not in my path... have you checked out /var/lib/dpkg/alternatives? its
> all text files and may relate to your problem.

hmmm... I did some more poking around, maybe this helps

typing x-www-browser loads iceweasel. so that works.

which x-www-browser returns /usr/bin/x-www-browser which is a symlink
to /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser. so, do you have symlinks in
/usr/bin (and probably elsewhere) that point to the /etc/alternatives
directory?

hth