/etc/alternatives not working properly

Due to changing partitions around I managed to mess up my Debian Sid AMD64 install. I reinstalled from scratch and then restored my /etc directory from a backup. Now none of the commands in /etc/alternative work (java, wx-config x-www-browser etc). All of the symlinks are present and I have tried update-alternatives --all with no luck.

If I add /etc/alternatives to my PATH then they work again, but I don't remember having to do this before.

Should /etc/alternatives be in my PATH, if so should I add it to /etc/profile. If not, anyone got any ideas how to restore the alternatives system to its former state?

TIA

Wackojacko