Re: wireless adapter/card recommendations?

On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 08:16:45AM -0500, Roby wrote:
> John C wrote:
>
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I'm in the process of changing my home network from wired to
> > wireless and am trying to find a card for a desktop that will
> > work effortlessly with etch/sid.
> >
> > Preferably one whose drivers are already available as part of
> > debian.
> >
> > So far I've not done well and purchased one that did not work. It
> > turned out to have a Marvel Technology chip that is unusable
> > (education can be expensive).
> >
> > What I'm looking for is a wireless adapter that will work with a
> > 802.11g 54Mbps router. I'd prefer an internal PCI card, but an
> > external USB would also be fine.
> >
> > Any and all suggestions would be welcome before I go shopping again.
> >
> > Thanks.
> > John
> Manufacturers have no hesitation about changing chips without changing
> the model number.  In a one-O/S world, this is fine ... as long as they
> make a matching driver available.  Since we're using that other O/S,
> it's not not fine.  It's a giant pain.
>
> I fell back to only buying unknown stuff like this locally from a store
> that will take it back without a restocking fee.  A little awkward, but
> avoids having yet another useless bit of hardware around.

i try and shop the local little computer store for just this
reason. They'l take returns *and* they have a huge stock of old parts
scavenged from old boxes. These older parts are fully functional, but
because they're older, my success ratio on support is much
higher. just picked up 3 D-Link 1000Base-T  ethernet cards for $4.00
each. and they just worked cause they're probably 2-3 years
old thus kernel support was there.

cheers