Re: wireless adapter/card recommendations?

John C wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I'm in the process of changing my home network from wired to
> wireless and am trying to find a card for a desktop that will
> work effortlessly with etch/sid.
>
> Preferably one whose drivers are already available as part of
> debian.
>
> So far I've not done well and purchased one that did not work. It
> turned out to have a Marvel Technology chip that is unusable
> (education can be expensive).
>
> What I'm looking for is a wireless adapter that will work with a
> 802.11g 54Mbps router. I'd prefer an internal PCI card, but an
> external USB would also be fine.
>
> Any and all suggestions would be welcome before I go shopping again.
>
> Thanks.
> John
Manufacturers have no hesitation about changing chips without changing
the model number.  In a one-O/S world, this is fine ... as long as they
make a matching driver available.  Since we're using that other O/S,
it's not not fine.  It's a giant pain.

I fell back to only buying unknown stuff like this locally from a store
that will take it back without a restocking fee.  A little awkward, but
avoids having yet another useless bit of hardware around.