Re: [OT: of interest only to new Gmail users] Re: test message

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 11:42:59 -0500
Kamaraju Kusumanchi <kamaraju@bluebottle.com> wrote:

> On Sunday 07 January 2007 04:27, Andrei Popescu wrote:
>
> > I think this gmail quirk should go to Raju's FAQ:
> >
> > Q: I posted from my gmail account, but I don't receive my own posts.
> > But I receive other posts and even answers to my own posts.
> >
> > A: gmail will discard your own posts because they consider them to
> > be a duplicate of the sent message (which is stored in the sent
> > folder). The only way around this (if you still want to receive
> > your mail through gmail) is to use a different server for sending,
> > ex. your own ISP's smarthost. Just take care when configuring your
> > mail client so that the correct address appears.
> >

> Sounds like an expensive solution to me. Is there no other simple
> hack?
>
> The main advantage of gmail or any web based program is that the user
> will be able to access the email from anywhere on earth (as long as
> he has internet connection). If he has to use some other SMTP server,
> then it beats the purpose doesnt it?
>
> Anyway, if no better solution comes up, then I will add this as
> suggested.

I have the ISP account anyway (is included with the internet access)
so I didn't worry about it.

Another hack would be to use two gmail accounts. One for sending and
one for receiving. The point is to not let gmail associate the sent
mail (the posting) with the received mail from the list because it
considers them to be duplicate (though they are not). Care has to be
taken as gmail won't let you change the From: address, so the posting
address (account) will be the one that shows up in the archives.

A more primitive hack is to configure your MUA to save outgoing mail to
the same folder. This way you can still follow the thread correctly,
but you have to check in the archives if your message reached the list.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)