Re: How to cool my cpu temperature?

Surachai Locharoen wrote:

[snip]

The fan (there is one) responds autonomously -- probably BIOS
controlled? So does the above really matter.

What is invoking the BIOS?

Doing something like kernel compile I would see the CPU temp hovering
between 80-100. Passive would kick in every now and again.

polling_interval was set to 2, I changed this to 30 and observed that
sometimes the CPU temp spiked at 102, 105, 107 but for no more than 1
second then immediately dropped back to sub-100. No instability, so
could be a glitch?

Have you calibrated your sensors? If not, then you do not know how
hot your CPU is.

Sometimes Linux will hit 100+ on 30 seconds and halt.

That's what you told it to do.

My conclusions:

the polling is far too rigid. Perhaps it should take some averages over
another interval or require a sustained critical temperature before
ditching the system. (make this user configurable under /proc/acpi/ as

When the sensor temp reaches 102 c the internal temp (which is what
matters) is already quite a bit higher.

is the rest). I like the idea of polling_interval being 2 but my system
would be fine if it only acted on the critical temperature if the CPU
was 100+ for more than 3 of these intervals.

On what basis do you make this determination? Have you researched what
temp the CPU is rated for? Have you calibrated your sensors?

The passive trip could be wrong, but that depends on the interpretation
of the 100+ spikes.

I currently avoid the problem by changing things to:

  echo 5 > /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THR0/polling_frequency
  echo 5 > /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THR1/polling_frequency
  echo "110:102:90:60:50:40" > /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THR0/trip_points

The 110 attempts to offset the spike (which is a rare spike); the 90
sets the passive kick-in which takes the CPU speed to 1.3G during the
passive region.

I'd try to find out why the CPU is getting so hot. Have you tried
cleaning your machine?

Powersave and co (tried a few) seemed to be doing their job. (note
Klaptop is the only thing that can successfully suspend to RAM for me)

I'm of the belief that my hardware (1+ year old always working) is
showing some minor cracks with the 100+ temp spike. But I also think the
kernel could be more forgiving of it.

Having a more "forgiving" kernel could result in hastening the demise
of your machine.

"
I doubt that Is this a solution? It just span a theshold.

I doubt it's even a patch, let alone a solution.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.