Re: On Etch can't to remove a broken package

On Wednesday 03 January 2007 10:24, csanyipal wrote:
> On Etch I have installed a package: ltmodem-2.6.8-2-386 that I
> have been downloaded. This installation wasn't success.
>
> After that this package came to be broken.
>
> If I try to remove this package, I get an error message:
>
> ------------------>
> (Reading database ... 60952 files and directories currently installed.)
> Removing ltmodem-2.6.8-2-386 ...
> find: warning: you have specified the -mindepth option after a
> non-option argument -name, but options are not positional \
>  (-mindepth affects tests specified before it as well as those \
>  specified  after it).  Please specify options before other \
>  arguments.
>
> find: warning: you have specified the -maxdepth option after a
> non-option argument -name, but options are not positional \
>  (-maxdepth affects tests specified before it as well as \
>  those specified after it).  Please specify options before \
>  other arguments.
>
> Could not identify your distribution's way of automatically \
>
> dpkg: error processing ltmodem-2.6.8-2-386 (--remove):
>  subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 1
>  ltmodem-2.6.8-2-386
> ------------------<
>
> What can I do to solve this problem?
>
> I appreciate any advices.

Well, it's not removing correctly because it's failing in it's post-rm
script.  If you just want to force the package out, you can do the
following:

  dpkg -r --force-all ltmodem-2.6.8-2-386

If that still doesn't work, you will have to hack the post-rm script to exit
with success, i.e. edit /var/lib/dpkg/info/ltmodem-2.6.8-2-386.postrm and
either fix the error, or just make the script do an unconditional "exit 0".

The second method is a rather hackish ways to do it, but it'll definitely
work.

--
Wesley J. Landaker <wjl@icecavern.net> <xmpp:wjl@icecavern.net>