Switching graphics cards, how?

My old Matrox video card is dying. I have a new e-geforce
6200 and an Etch system. I have picked up on some issues about drivers
for mVidia cards, but have no idea whether they are show stoppers for
my using this 6200. And I have no clear idea as to how to reconfigure
xorg most simply. I think it should just work -- if I type the right
command at the right time. Am I correct? What is the magic command?
Where should I look for a good guide to trouble shooting, before I get
into trouble?

TIA

--
Paul E Condon