Re: multi-gnome-terminal alternative

On Wednesday 03 January 2007 10:32, Kamaraju Kusumanchi wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 January 2007 10:21, Sven Arvidsson wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-01-02 at 14:02 -0500, Kamaraju Kusumanchi wrote:
> > > I really miss one feature from all these applications. I would like
> > > to have two terminals open side by side. All the input goes to one
> > > terminal, all the output (and errors if there are any) comes up in
> > > the second terminal. Clicking on a command in the first window should
> > > execute the command again. The whole thing looks similar to MATLAB's
> > > interface.
> > >
> > > Is there any terminal emulator which provides this kind of facility?
> >
> > You don't need a special program for that do you?
> >
> >  echo helloworld &> /dev/pts/1
> >
> > This will redirect output, both normal and error messages from one
> > terminal to another. You can list the terminals and their TTY you have
> > open by typing "w".
> That is pretty cool to know. Thanks. But this requires
> appending "&> /dev/pts/1" to each and every command. Can this be done in
> some configuration file so that it works for each and every command?

You can rig something pretty quickly like this:

1. Open two terminals.
2. In the "output" terminal, run 'ps' to find out the shell pid.
3. Use lsof -p <pid> to find out the pts that the pid is using.
4. In the "input" terminal, run bash &> /dev/pts/xxx to start a shell and
   redirect everything to the "output" terminal.

If you want typed commands to be also echoed on the "input" terminal, you
might have to fiddle with the stty settings.

Wesley J. Landaker <wjl@icecavern.net> <xmpp:wjl@icecavern.net>