Re: aptitude --mind-your-own-business option?

On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 03:08:54PM +0000, Clive Menzies wrote:
> On (05/12/06 14:43), Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > I cannot predict what the future will bring. I can say, however, after
> > using aptitude on two Sid systems for almost a year and doing
> > "dist-upgrade" nearly every single day, that aptitude seems to be a lot
> > less dangerous than what has been claimed by some people. (This is not
> > directed at you, Mike, I am just getting a bit fed up with the
> > aptitude-related fear mongering that I have seen on this list recently.)
>
> I'll second that; moving from stable to sid some three years ago,
> aptitude and apt-listbugs have kept me out of trouble on my main
> production workstation and other systems on the same box.  Aptitude has
> also come a long way over that period with suggested fixes for broken
> dependencies etc.
>
> I've used the graphical front ends such as Synaptic but they don't see
> to give the same level of control.
>
> It just takes a little time to get used to it :)

I had no idea about all those options. All I did was mark a few key
packages as manually installed. I am running sid for almost a year
without any problems. Just make sure to review the changes before
actually doing them.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)