Re: aptitude --mind-your-own-business option?

On Sat, Dec 02, 2006 at 01:39:04AM -0900, Ken Irving wrote:
> I've periodically tried using aptitude, but always get scared off
> when it seems to "run away".   I'm sure it knows what's best for my
> machine ;-), but is it possible to override this behavior?

Very much yes.  Its called the interactive mode.  When you select what
you want to do, you hit 'g' (for go).  It then presents a list of what
it wants to do (add these that you've chosen, add these that these
depend on, remove these that you've chosen, remove these that were only
installed to meet dependencies) plus a list of packages suggested by
those being installed.  You can edit this list to your heart's content;
if you break something it will tell you and you can fix it before
anything is actually done.

When you're satisfied with what it wants to do, you hit 'g' again and it
does it.

Aptitude may go a little 'crazy' or 'run away' when you first start
using it until you tell it which packages are installe because _you_
want them there and which are only installed to meet dependancies.
After this step is done it is remarkably well behaved.

Doug.