Re: aptitude --mind-your-own-business option?

On Fri, Dec 08, 2006 at 11:54:36 +0000, Chris Lale wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:
> >[...]
> >Please feel free to edit it and put it on NewbieDOC or anywhere else
> >where it might be useful. I am a bit pressed for time right now since I
> >am switching jobs next February (which involves moving to another
> >country). I might find time during the winter solstice holidays to expand
> >the text a little and submit it as a suggested addition to the
> >documentation.
> >
> >[...]
>
> I have made a start on this, but I have run into a couple of problems
> when testing in Etch:
>
> 1. The "-o" option results in Aptitude running in interactive mode.
>
> |    # aptitude -o Aptitude::Keep-Unused-Pattern='~T'
>
> |The file "/root/.aptitude/config" is not modified. I have tried other
> options  with the same result:
>
>    # aptitude -o Aptitude::CmdLine::Always-Prompt=true
>    # aptitude -o Aptitude::Log=/tmp/my-log
>
> Any idea why this happens (Aptitude 4.1.1-13)?

I think this is what is supposed to happen. Using a "-o" switch on the
command line will change the setting for this one execution of the
aptitude (and override the settings in the configuration file), but it
will not change the configuration in any permanent way.

If you want a permanent change then you have to either edit the file
yourself or you can use the settings menu in interactive aptitude, e.g.
CTRL - T > Options > Dependency handling > Don't automatically remove
unused packages matching this filter > put ~T into the input box. (There
may be some options which are available only by editing the file
directly.)

> 2. I am not sure about the "-H" option for Sudo in Sarge. Should
> Aptitude be called with "sudo -H" like this?
>
>    $ sudo -H aptitude ...

Yes, that is correct. You can define an alias for it to safe typing,
e.g.

alias saptitude='sudo -H aptitude'

--
Regards,