Re: WORKAROUND Re: Cannot change hostname permanently

On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 14:53:04 +0100
Chris Lale <chrislale@untrammelled.co.uk> wrote:

Hello Chris,

> I still cannot work out how hostname is remembering a name ("earth")
> that it has not saved in /etc/hostname (which still contains
> "desktop"). hostname --fqdn is also confused and cannot find a host!

You seem to be under the impression that the command hostname writes to
the file /etc/hostname.  AIUI, that is *not* the case.  You'll have to
alter the file in a text editor.

--
 Regards  _

Buy some love at the five and dime
You Have Placed A Chill In My Heart - Eurythmics