Re: Cannot change hostname permanently

Kent West wrote:
[...]

No, I mean it seems odd that he changes "/etc/hostname", and after reboot it has changed back to the original.

Or at least, that's what I understood him to say in his original post.

Yes, that's it. My packages are up-to-date, my wireless/ADSL modem/router box (Philips SA6500) is switched off, Samba and NFS are purged from the system and any references to the original hostname ("earth") in /etc/hosts are commented out.

The original hostname is "earth". I want to change it to "desktop". This is what happens:

   # hostname
   earth

   # hostname desktop
   # hostname
   desktop

   # shutdown -r now

During reboot I see (blink and you'll miss it)
INIT: version 2.86 booting
   Setting hostname to 'earth' ... done

The above two consecutive lines do not appear in dmesg output.

   # hostname
   earth

Chris.