Re: WORKAROUND Re: Cannot change hostname permanently

On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 13:33:01 +0100, Chris Lale wrote:
>Liam O'Toole wrote:
>>[...]
>>  The output you quote above is the result of init invoking
>>
>>    /etc/init.d/hostname.sh start
>>
>>What happens when you do this manually?
>   # hostname desktop
>   # hostname
>   desktop
>
>   # /etc/init.d/hostname.sh
>   Setting hostname to 'earth'...done.
>

>>Are there any weird permissions
>>on the file /etc/hostname?
>>

># ls -l /etc/hostname
>-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 6 2006-06-14 16:26 /etc/hostname
>
>It seems that the hostname command does not actually modify the /etc/hostname
>file, yet the hostname command does report the new name.
>
>   # hostname desktop
>
>   # cat /etc/hostname
>   earth
>
>   # hostname
>   desktop
>
>Perhaps hostname is reading from /proc rather than /etc/hostname?
>
>A workaround is to change the hostname by editing /etc/hostname directly.
>
>   # echo desktop > /etc/hostname

Isn't /etc/hosts involved in this as well?
At least for 'hostname -f' is seems to be.

/M

magnus@therning.org             Jabber: magnus.therning@gmail.com
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

"He dropped his voice still lower. In the stillness, a fly would not
have dared clear its throat."