Re: chroot doesn't work, among other things.

Roger Leigh wrote:

> So, there you have it. Now what?

So some part of the filesystem is knackered, and we can't know the
extent of the damage for sure.  Since it happened suring a
dist-upgrade, it's most likely some part of the packages upgraded at
that time.

I would suggest something like:

  # for pkg in $(dpkg --get-selections | sed -e 's/^\([^[:space:]]*\)[[:space:]]*.*$/\1/'); do sudo apt-get --reinstall install $pkg; done

You can probably speed this up with xargs if you like.  This will
reinstall every package on the system, so if any files are corrupt,
they will get replaced with a good copy.

If you have the option, a clean reinstall might be better, then you
known you won't run into additional problems if any files not replaced
by the above turn out to be corrupted as well.

Hm. I thought as much. I was really hoping I would be wrong, but you have confirmed my fears. I'm noticing that things just aren't as
they should be: dbus didn't start, for example. Well, I guess a new installation won't be that bad. Alas! I really liked this install. Alright. Thanks much for all of the help you have offered me. I'll get out the old Sarge cd and do it again.

Cheers.

--
—A watched bread-crumb never boils.
—My hover-craft is full of eels.