Re: Wireless module bcm43xx in 2.6.17 kernel

H.S. wrote:

Freddy Freeloader wrote:

Well, that was a good idea, but it didn't work. I simply cannot connect with any type of encryption. There is a line in dmesg that says "Cleared all keys" before the card starts sending out sending out dhcp requests, so I'm guessing that is what the problem is. And, the output from iwconfig says that Encryption is off no matter how I set up /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf. and I have gone all the way through the wpa_supplicant site looking for a way to enable it but been unsuccessful in my search.

WEP isn't supposed to require wpa_supplicant to work. Try by disabling wpa_supplicant. In the laptop running Ubuntu here, wpa_supplicant is disabled; the bcm43xx doesn't see that package at all and WEP works flawlessly. In fact, IIRC, I faced problems with wpa_supplicant, never got it working.

->HS

Well, I have disabled wpa_supplican't and the problems have gotten even worse. WEP doesn't work and my unencrpypted connections are now very flaky. When I first open a browser my home page will load and then after that every link I click the browser will connect to the site, sit there for a minute or so and then report the page as loaded (Done) while the page is still blank. I used a packet sniffer to see what was going on and my browser will send http get requests, the site will return a few packets, my browser will continue to send http requests on an intermittent bases because no response is recieved for a while, and then for every occasional packet that is returned in response to the http requests I will also get duplicate packets. Then the server and my computer will shut down communication with fin and fin-ack packets even though the page has never loaded. But, when I ping the site all packets sent are returned, but with a ton of duplicate return packets. If I send 1000 pings I will get back 1000 returns plus 800 duplicate packets. I have been able to connect once in a while with a broswer and get a few pages to load, but then I'll start getting 400 errors from the site (bad requests) I'm connected to. This will usually happen after a connection has lasted for a minute or so. At this point I'm almost starting to suspect my wireless access point as the problem, but I can connect successfully when booted into XP in both encrpypted and unencrptyed set ups.

What's stranger still is that I have successfully used ndiswrapper with this same wireless card and access point and it worked almost flawlessly with wpa_supplicant. The only problem I had with it was that every once in a while it would drop a connection if I let the connection sit idle for a while yet my wireless card was reporting a successful connection. Then I just had to run and ifdown and ifup and I would have a connection again. Now I can't get any kind of reconnect unless I reboot. This is all very weird if you ask me. Something is extremely buggy and imo it points to the bcm43xx module.

I have also tried using network-manager and it makes my entire computer extremely flaky. The touchpad will stop working once in a while, the system will freeze occasionally, etc... whenever I attempt to use it. And I still have the same flaky connections.