Re: Wireless module bcm43xx in 2.6.17 kernel

Freddy Freeloader wrote:
Is anyone else having problems with the new Broadcom bcm43xx module? I get the following error in dmesg when the wireless interface is configured in /etc/network/interfaces, /etc/default/ifplugd, etc/default/wpasupplicant, and /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf. The error is repeated about 30 times. bcm43xx: Error: Microcode "bcm43xx_microcode5.fw" not available or load failed.

If the interface is not configured I get no error.

I have had this same wireless device running using ndiswrapper but as I just rebuilt my laptop and the Broadcom module was included in the new kernel I figured I would try it. So I'm wondering if this error is because the bcm43xx module has not been integrated into the wpa_supplicant package yet. I haven't seen that it is, but just was wondering if it has been the documentation just hasn't been updated as yet. Or, am I supposed to be naming the ieee80211_crypt module in the wpa_supplicant configuration as lsmod shows it is loaded as a dependency for the bcm43xx module? Documentation either seems to be pretty scarce on this yet or I'm looking in the wrong places for it.

I tried making it work in a Dell Inspiron 5160 laptop. Recently, the Debian Unstable from that laptop was wiped off and Ubuntu Dapper Drake installed. I could make the wireless card work in Debian using ndiswrapper but IIRC, the Linux bcm43xx module didn't work (I didn't pursue it enough, to be honest).

In Ubuntu, the card is working with the Linux module, but I haven't been able to make it work with wpa_supplicant. I do not have the laptop here at present, but I could give your more info later if you need. I would assume the working of this card is more or less the same in Debian as well as in Ubuntu.

->HS