Re: Wireless module bcm43xx in 2.6.17 kernel

H.S. wrote:

Freddy Freeloader wrote:

Thanks for your reply.
Well, I've made some progess on this since I posted last time. I have found out that you must use the bcm43xx-fwcutter utility from berlios.de to extract all the *.fw (firmware) files from the bcmlw.sys windows

Ah yes, I had to do that too. Sorry I wasn't able to recall this in my earlier post.

driver file. Once I did that I can now scan with iwlist and the error is gone. I haven't, however, gotten this to work with or without any security. It goes through the motions but it never recieves a dhcp offer from the router. And, yes the router is working as I can pick up dhcp offers from windows machines.

Well, as I had said earlier, WPA never worked for me. But I am now able to use WEP 128 bit encryption with the router. Apparently the linux bcm43xx module doesn't support 256 bit WEP. But I configured the router information (WEP key etc.) using the GUI networking application that comes with Ubuntu. So at present, I have no experience using config files to do so in Debian.

However, I just fired up the networking GUI (K-menu -> System -> Networking) in Debian Testing and I get a similar GUI I got in Ubuntu (cannot test though, no wireless on my desktop). For now, I see no reason why similar setup won't work in Debian. Just select the wireless card from the GUI, and I guess you have to go to properties to setup the SSID and the WEP key and then just re-activate the card. It should work.

->HS

Well, that was a good idea, but it didn't work. I simply cannot connect with any type of encryption. There is a line in dmesg that says "Cleared all keys" before the card starts sending out sending out dhcp requests, so I'm guessing that is what the problem is. And, the output from iwconfig says that Encryption is off no matter how I set up /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf. and I have gone all the way through the wpa_supplicant site looking for a way to enable it but been unsuccessful in my search.