Re: apt-get md5sum error on etch system

On Fri, 4 Aug 2006 14:41:20 +1000
John O'Hagan <johnohagan@iprimus.com.au> wrote:

> On Friday 04 August 2006 11:03, Jacob S wrote:
> > On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 15:58:06 -0400

<snip>
> [...]
> >
> > I have been experiencing this same error, sometimes mixed with a
> > gzip error complaining that stdin is not in gzip format for about a
> > week now. I just changed my sources.list to use ftp instead of http
> > and the problem went away.
> >
> > However, to make the problem more curious, when this problem started
> > happening I was using mirrors.kernel.org so I switched to
> > ftp.us.debian.org thinking maybe it was a mirror problem. But that
> > did not fix it either. Only switching to ftp seemed to fix it.
> >
> > This would make me suspect that it's a bug with apt-get, except
> > that I am using http for debian-multimedia.org and
> > wine.sourceforge.net without problems.
> >
> > Thoughts, anyone?
> >
> [...]
>
> I had a similar-sounding problem a couple of months back - I was
> getting both the "Couldn't stat..." and the gzip error messages. I
> didn't change my sources.list because the mirrors seemed to be
> working for everyone else; and I could still upgrade by manually
> downloading the Packages files from the mirror sites.
>
> There seemed to be something wrong with apt-get's interaction with
> the Packages files.
>
> I tried deleting everything in /var/lib/apt/, and even purging and
> reinstalling apt (which is scary on a running system). Nothing worked
> until the next upgrade of apt, when the problem went away.
>
> If you search this list for "apt-get update" you will find a
> smattering of similar posts, none with a definitive solution. Makes
> me think there is a sneaky little apt bug out there.

Tonight I had a different variety of it. 19 out of 408 packages failed
to download, when I was trying to an apt-get upgrade. I tried to do a
wget on the url that apt-get reported as failed, and wget also said
there was no such file. However, I then changed the url for wget from
ftp://ftp.us.debian.org... to http://ftp.us.debian.org... and 2 out of
3 files tested worked. The 3rd, however, got a 404 error from the
debian.org server.

So, it is sounding like there are multiple problems here. Are some of
the Debian servers overloaded due to the crack a few weeks ago? I
thought everything was back up since then, though.

Confused...
Jacob