Re: apt-get md5sum error on etch system

On Friday 04 August 2006 11:03, Jacob S wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 15:58:06 -0400
>
> José Alburquerque <jaalburquerque@cox.net> wrote:
> > José Alburquerque wrote:
> > > My problem is that when I run 'apt-get update' I get these errors:
> > >
> > > Failed to fetch
> > > http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/etch/main/binary-i386/Packages.g
> > >z MD5Sum mismatch
> > > Failed to fetch
> > > http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/etch/non-free/binary-i386/Packag
> > >es.gz MD5Sum mismatch
> > > Failed to fetch
> > > http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/etch/main/source/Sources.gz
> > > MD5Sum mismatch
> > > Reading package lists... Done
> > > W: Couldn't stat source package list http://http.us.debian.org
> > > etch/main Packages
> > > (/var/lib/apt/lists/http.us.debian.org_debian_dists_etch_main_binary-i3
> > >86_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
> > > W: Couldn't stat source package list http://http.us.debian.org
> > > etch/main Packages
> > > (/var/lib/apt/lists/http.us.debian.org_debian_dists_etch_main_binary-i3
> > >86_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
> > > W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
> > > E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or
> > > old ones used instead.

[...]
> I have been experiencing this same error, sometimes mixed with a gzip
> error complaining that stdin is not in gzip format for about a week
> now. I just changed my sources.list to use ftp instead of http and
> the problem went away.
>
> However, to make the problem more curious, when this problem started
> happening I was using mirrors.kernel.org so I switched to
> ftp.us.debian.org thinking maybe it was a mirror problem. But that did
> not fix it either. Only switching to ftp seemed to fix it.
>
> This would make me suspect that it's a bug with apt-get, except that I
> am using http for debian-multimedia.org and wine.sourceforge.net
> without problems.
>
> Thoughts, anyone?

[...]

I had a similar-sounding problem a couple of months back - I was getting both
the "Couldn't stat..." and the gzip error messages. I didn't change my
sources.list because the mirrors seemed to be working for everyone else; and
I could still upgrade by manually downloading the Packages files from the
mirror sites.

There seemed to be something wrong with apt-get's interaction with the
Packages files.

I tried deleting everything in /var/lib/apt/, and even purging and
reinstalling apt (which is scary on a running system). Nothing worked until
the next upgrade of apt, when the problem went away.

If you search this list for "apt-get update" you will find a smattering of
similar posts, none with a definitive solution. Makes me think there is a
sneaky little apt bug out there.

John