Re: Shutdown my Laptop? Why should I?

Another thing to keep in mind is the spinning of the harddrive. A
harddrive doesn't have inifite lifespan and laptop harddrives are not
designed for 24/7 spinning.

Jack

On 7/12/06, David R. Litwin <presently42@gmail.com> wrote:
I have a year old Toshiba Intel Mobil P4 laptop using Sid. I recently
downloaded two large files via BitTorrent. As I wanted to have them as
quickly as I could, I decided to leave my laptop on until they were fully
downloaded, rebooting only for upgrades. I noticed no real
difference in performance (maybe Azureus was hogging
a bit more memory after a few days).

The question is this: Why should I ever turn off my laptop on a normal
occasion (normal being every-day, standard, stationary usage)? If I don't
want it on, I can suspend it in some way: Waking-up is faster than
booting-up.

I'm keen to hear your opinions, O members.

Cheers.

--
—A watched bread-crumb never boils.
—My hover-craft is full of eels.