Re: apt-get md5sum error on etch system

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 15:58:06 -0400
José Alburquerque <jaalburquerque@cox.net> wrote:

> José Alburquerque wrote:
>
> > My problem is that when I run 'apt-get update' I get these errors:
> >
> > Failed to fetch
> > http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/etch/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz
> > MD5Sum mismatch
> > Failed to fetch
> > http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/etch/non-free/binary-i386/Packages.gz
> > MD5Sum mismatch
> > Failed to fetch
> > http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/etch/main/source/Sources.gz
> > MD5Sum mismatch
> > Reading package lists... Done
> > W: Couldn't stat source package list http://http.us.debian.org
> > etch/main Packages
> > (/var/lib/apt/lists/http.us.debian.org_debian_dists_etch_main_binary-i386_Packages)
> > - stat (2 No such file or directory)
> > W: Couldn't stat source package list http://http.us.debian.org
> > etch/main Packages
> > (/var/lib/apt/lists/http.us.debian.org_debian_dists_etch_main_binary-i386_Packages)
> > - stat (2 No such file or directory)
> > W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
> > E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or
> > old ones used instead.
>
> I'm replying to myself because I believe I fixed this problem on my
> own:  I did a little research and found that the repository
> information that apt-get uses is found in /etc/apt/apt.sources.  I
> changed my debian mirror from http://http.us.debian.org to
> ftp://ftp.debian.org and this fixed my problem entirely.  (I got the
> list of mirrors from debian.org).  This leads me to believe that
> there may be something wrong with http://http.us.debian.org.  (By the
> way, I experienced the same errors with http://ftp.us.debian.org).
> Should I report this somewhere? Thanks.

I have been experiencing this same error, sometimes mixed with a gzip
error complaining that stdin is not in gzip format for about a week
now. I just changed my sources.list to use ftp instead of http and
the problem went away.

However, to make the problem more curious, when this problem started
happening I was using mirrors.kernel.org so I switched to
ftp.us.debian.org thinking maybe it was a mirror problem. But that did
not fix it either. Only switching to ftp seemed to fix it.

This would make me suspect that it's a bug with apt-get, except that I
am using http for debian-multimedia.org and wine.sourceforge.net
without problems.

Thoughts, anyone?

TIA,
Jacob