Re: installing "unstable"?

"Ken Wahl" <kwahl@nc.rr.com> wrote in message [🔎] 20060802193206.GA30160@nc.rr.com">news:[🔎] 20060802193206.GA30160@nc.rr.com...
On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 11:38:01AM -0700, K. Richard Pixley wrote:
I don't see an "unstable" installer on the web site.  Is the standard
way to build an "unstable" system to build a "testing" system, point
/etc/apt/sources.list to an unstable repository and update+upgrade?  Or
is there something more common that I'm overlooking?

See http://wooledge.org/~greg/sidfaq.html#3

The way I used most recently was to use a stable netinstall CD and
boot it in expert mode. You'll be prompted which branch you want to
configure apt for (stable, testing or sid). Choose sid. Then I skipped
taskselect and went straight into aptitude and started choosing
packages. This took a little longer but I had an unstable system on
first boot with little cruft. The alternative is to install a testing
system, change your apt sources and dist-upgrade to unstable. This
latter way may be safer for new debian users and is I believe the
recommended method.

Correct. Using any net-inst CD from sarge or beyond should allow you to directly install unstable. This is almost never tested, so there is some chance it could fail. Intsalling testing and upgrading is recomended in all cases, unless bandwidth is a major issue. (For example slow dialup connection).