Re: Keeping dependencies when running alien

On Thursday 03 August 2006 13:53, Joey Hess wrote:
> Joshua J. Kugler wrote:
> > So, how do I instruct alien to convert these dependencies over?
>
> You can't. For starters, not one of the dependencies you listed from the
> rpm is a package name; debs support only package name dependencies. For
> another, there's no consistency of package names across distributions.
>
> The sole exception, as documented on alien's man page, is lsb packages.

OK, that makes sense.  I suppose one could extend alien to understand RPM's
depends syntax, find which packages provides those dependencies, and require
those packages, but that's beyond the scope of my little project today.

Thanks for the insight.

Joshua Kugler
Lead System Admin -- Senior Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0xDB26D7CE
PO Box 80086 -- Fairbanks, AK 99708 -- Ph: 907-456-5581 Fax: 907-456-3111