Hotplug not loaded after basic installation

I just finished a basic net installation of Debian 3.1r2 from a downloaded net installation CDROM, but I don't think the hotplug module loaded. Here is the relevant part of dmesg:

	cpci_hotplug: CompactPCI Hot Plug Core version: 0.2
	pci_hotplug: PCI Hot Plug PCI Core version: 0.5
	pciehp: acpi_pciehprm:\_SB_.PCI0 evaluate _BBN fail=0x5
	pciehp: acpi_pciehprm:get_device PCI ROOT HID fail=0x5
	shpchp: acpi_shpchprm:\_SB_.PCI0 evaluate _BBN fail=0x5
	shpchp: acpi_shpchprm:get_device PCI ROOT HID fail=0x5
	8139cp: 10/100 PCI Ethernet driver v1.2 (Mar 22, 2004)
	usbcore: registered new driver usbfs
	usbcore: registered new driver hub
	ohci_hcd: 2004 Feb 02 USB 1.1 'Open' Host Controller (OHCI) 			Driver (PCI)
	ohci_hcd: block sizes: ed 64 td 64
	USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver v2.2

I am not sure what these lines mean, but the word "fail" occurs four times; and anything connected to a USB port is not detected.

The mainboard is a Chaintech Socket 370 ATX form factor model 6VJDO-C100A..
CPU is a Celeron Coppermine 1mH.
Chipset is VIA Pro266.
South bridge is VIA VT8233.
Phoenix (now Award) BIOS is according to the manufacturer's website the latest, which was installed when I purchased the board and CPU on 5 August 2003 (I had Windows 98 on it before).
Two USB ports mounted on the mainboard.

The specs say that the board is not compatible with Windows XP. When I bought it I did not think that this incompatibility was important, because I never intended to use XP.

Does anybody know whether I can somehow tweak hotplug to load and, if so, how? Or does the incompatibility go beyond XP?
--
				Ken Heard
				Research Associate