Re: CUPS dependencies

John Hasler wrote:
RLH writes:
The problems we now are experiencing with CUPS appear to be a consequence
of the transition to Etch.

I haven't noticed any change in the level of complaints about CUPS.  It
seems to me that they have been pretty much constant since it was
introduced.  It appears to be one of the top reasons for new users to give
up on Linux.

I've been lucky enough to run cups without any problems on sarge and sid and provide print services to windows (nt to xp).

The only difficulties I had were, when I tried to configure it via KDE's control center. Avoiding this I've just edited a few lines in config-files on the server and use the web interface. On all workstations it just works without any configuration (thanks to the maintainers for the excellent defaults!!).

Recently we got a powerful and big new printer, one that scans and prints and even sends the scans as e-mails. The one who brought and set it up had never seen this machine working with linux and was really impressed how few steps it took to set it up for our whole workstation cluster. It was all set up in less than a minute (pcl driver), most of that time wasted on deciding on a name and setting the IP up on the printer.

I'd really have liked it, if more people could have seen his face when cups' test page came out!

Just my experience and opinion.

Johannes