CUPS broken -- again

Upon first installing Etch about two months ago, I was unable to print
until I used the CUPS web administration tool link "manage
printers"/"modify printer" to re-install the printer.  Once the printer
is reconfigured, jobs already in the queue print without error.

About a month ago, an upgrade to CUPS corrected the problem.

Now, an upgrade to CUPS which was made yesterday (using synaptic) has
caused return of the old problem.

In the first instance, the printer was a HP LaserJet with parallel
interface and Postscript level 2.

In the second instance, the printer is a HP LaserJet with HP JetDirect
ethernet interface and Postscript level 2.

RLH