Re: CUPS dependencies

Carl Fink <carl@finknetwork.com> writes:

> On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 05:58:22PM -0500, Nate Bargmann wrote:
>
>> I must be among the lucky or blessed (take your pick).  Since I
>> switched to CUPS and Gutenprint a couple of years back my printing
>> qulaity has never been higher (the combination blows away the quality
>> of Windows XP drivers for my old printers).  CUPS has been solid for me
>> and I haven't seemed to experience the problems of others even though I
>> track Sid.  I print to a network attached printer from my desktop and
>> to it and several locally attached printers on my laptop.
>>
>> I'm not a CUPS fan-boy, but I don't miss lprng a bit.
>
> Currently, CUPS exits without an error message on my box.  I've reinstalled
> it three times in a month, and it still doesn't work right.

CUPS in unstable is currently having some teething problems.  CUPS 1.2
was tested in experimental for a few months prior to moving to
unstable, but most of the problems found by users in unstable were not
found on the limited range of printer hardware and network/system
setups available to us.

CUPS 1.2.2-1 does seem to have brought some new problems, but I'm not
sure how much a buggy gs-esp has to blame for that.  It's currently
working fine for me printing to a native PostScript printer, but
filtering (pdftpps and pstoraster) does not appear to be working
correctly.  Hopefully, this can be rectified in the next few days.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh
   `-    GPG Public Key: 0x25BFB848   Please sign and encrypt your mail.