Re: Mozilla mplayer plugin setup question

On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 05:52:25PM +0200, LeVA wrote:
> 2006. július 8. 16:49,
> "Thomas H. George" <tom@tomgeorge.info>
> -> debian-user@lists.debian.org,:
> > On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 11:47:16AM +0200, LeVA wrote:
> > > 2006. július 7. 16:11,
> > > "Thomas H. George" <tom@tomgeorge.info>
> > >
> > > -> debian-user@lists.debian.org,:

> > > I see now... So you had the light show on Win, and you thought that
> > > mplayer wasn't working right, because it wasn't displaying the light
> > > show? That's probably a winmediaplayer thingie. You won't have that with
> > > mplayer (thanks god :)

> > > And if you could attach the config file, the list readers could examine
> > > it, and help you filtering the bad options which causes the stopping.
> >
> > I experimented.  Instead of copying mplayer.conf to config I simply
> > edited config as shown:
> >
> > # Write your default config options here!
> > ao=alsa
> >
> > This single entry is enough to cause mplayer to stop after it loads the
> > buffer.  Remove the line and mplayer works again.  Lest there be any
> > doubt I re-ran alsoconf and am attaching the output of lsmod and locate
> > alsa.
> I can not go further with this really. I don't know how the marillat packaged
> mplayer was compiled. You can run 'mplayer -ao help' and see if there are
> more alsa* audio outs. There used to be alsa9 for alsa-0.9 and alsa for
> alsa-1.0 (IIRC, but maybe those were different names...). In the recent
> mplayer versions, there is only one alsa audio out, and that's called 'alsa'.
> It works with Alsa-0.9.x and Alsa-1.x. You could try to use the other alsa
> audio out, if there is any. Mplayer must work with one or another ao, if it
> works without the config file. I see you have the OSS emulation configured,
> and the modules loaded, so you should try to use the ao=oss, and see if it is
> working.
> Btw, you've attached mplayer's output, but cropped out the AO information, so
> I don't know which audio out is used by default by your mplayer. If you play
> a file with mplayer (without specifying any ao drivers. neither in the
> command line with -ao, nor in the config file with ao=), you can see a line
> like this:
> AO: [alsa] 44100Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
> or
> AO: [oss] 44100Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
>
> You can tell what is the default from that. So you should probably write that
> to your .mplayer/config file.

Thanks Daniel,

You're right.  I tried playing a .wav file with mplayer (normally I use
wavp) and got the line AO: [oss] 44100Hz 3ch s16le (2 bytes per sample).

I then put the line ao=oss in config and mplayer started normally.  As
you can see from the attached unedited mplayer.conf file the audio
section seems to indicate that ao=alsa should be used.

For now I'll just stick with a blank config file as the defaults work
fine.

Tom

#
# MPlayer configuration file
#
# Configuration files are read system-wide from /usr/local/etc/mplayer.conf
# and per user from ~/.mplayer/config, where per-user settings override
# system-wide settings, all of which are overrriden by the command line.
#
# The configuration file settings are the same as the command line
# options without the preceding '-'.
#
# See the CONFIGURATION FILES section in the man page
# for a detailed description of the syntax.

##################
# video settings #
##################

# Specify default video driver (see -vo help for a list).
#vo=xv

# Use SDL video with the aalib subdriver by default.
#vo = sdl:aalib

# FBdev driver:
#
# mode to use (read from fb.modes)
#fbmode = 640x480-120
#
# location of the fb.modes file
#fbmodeconfig = /etc/fb.modes

# Specify your monitor timings for the vesa and fbdev video output drivers.
# See /etc/X11/XF86Config for timings. Be careful; if you specify settings
# that exceed the capabilities of your monitor, you may damage it.
#
# horizontal frequency range (k stands for 1000)
#monitor-hfreq = 31.5k-50k,70k
#
# vertical frequency range
#monitor-vfreq = 50-90
#
# dotclock (or pixelclock) range (m stands for 1000000)
#monitor-dotclock = 30M-300M

# Start in fullscreen mode by default.
#fs=yes

# Change to a different videomode when going fullscreen.
#vm=yes

# Override the autodetected color depth, may need 'vm=yes' as well.
#bpp=0

# Enable software scaling (powerful CPU needed) for video output
# drivers that do not support hardware scaling.
#zoom=yes

# standard monitor size, with square pixels
#monitoraspect=4:3

# Use this for a widescreen monitor, non-square pixels.
#monitoraspect=16:9

# Keep the player window on top of all other windows.
#ontop=yes

##################
# audio settings #
##################

# Specify default audio driver (see -ao help for a list).
ao=alsa

# Use SDL audio driver with the esd subdriver by default.
#ao = sdl:esd

# Specify the mixer device.
#mixer = /dev/mixer

# Resample the sound to 44100Hz with the lavcresample audio filter.
#af=lavcresample=44100

##################
# other settings #
##################

# Drop frames to preserve audio/video sync.
#framedrop = yes

# Specify your preferred skin here (skins are searched for in
# /usr/local/share/mplayer/skins/<name> and ~/.mplayer/skins/<name>).
#skin = Abyss

# Resample the font alphamap.
# 0     plain white fonts
# 0.75  very narrow black outline (default)
# 1     narrow black outline
# 10    bold black outline
#ffactor = 0.75

# cache settings
#
# Use 8MB input cache by default.
#cache = 8192
#
# Prefill 20% of the cache before starting playback.
#cache-min = 20.0
#
# Prefill 50% of the cache before restarting playback after the cache emptied.
#cache-seek-min = 50

# DVD: Display English subtitles if available.
#slang = en

# DVD: Play English audio tracks if available.
#alang = en

# get a default OSD font from fontconfig

fontconfig = yes
font = "Sans"
subfont-text-scale = 3

# You can also include other configuration files.
#include = /path/to/the/file/you/want/to/include