Sata AIC-8130 ; mdadm ; lvm2 ==> failure ???

The machine is an HP ML150 3.06, Xeon, 512MB of RAM; current bios is
1.51.  AIC-8130 is the sata card.

Debian installs OK.  Updated to linux-image-2.6.16-2-686.  It
automatically loads sata_mv (w/o /etc/modules).

Three (3) WD 76GB 10K drives, organized into mdadm Raid5 -- no problem.

Three (3) volumes created under lvm/VG1 (10GB, 10GB & 30GB) -- no
problem.

Each volume is formatted for ext3:

    mke2fs -E stride=16 -j -O dir_index -v /dev/VG1/data
    tune2fs -c 0 -i 0 /dev/VG1/data

To this point, everything appears normal.  Test reading, writing,
deleting from filesystems succeed.

Then, reboot -- and first sign of trouble.  I am remote to this box;
but, my associate says that system boot up hangs with LVM initialization
on console.  Power it off; restart; and system comes up.  NOTE: This is
repeatable: every other boot up hangs; alternating boot ups succeed ;<

Once system is up, functioning, and filesystems tested; then, we copy
data to one filesystem at a time.  Every single time, the entire system
locks up within minutes !?!?

Google shows several people with similar problems early this year.  The
sata_mv driver is called "experimental".  I have not found a solution;
nor a workaround.  Is there some other driver for the Marvel sata
chipset?  Apparently, Suse uses aar81xx; but, the version I found does
NOT load on this Debian box ...

What am I missing?

What do you think?

--