Re: Jumpdrive Not A Block Device?

On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 08:29:09 -0400, "Thomas H. George" <tom@tomgeorge.info> said:

> On Sun, Jul 02, 2006 at 10:05:37PM -0400, Hubert Chan wrote:
>> On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 12:41:00 -0400, "Thomas H. George"
>> <lists@tomgeorge.info> said:
>>
>>> With Etch it is recognized as SCSI device sdb and located at
>>> /dev/sg1.  It cannot be mounted, mount fails with a message that
>>> /dev/sg1 is not a block device.
>>
>> The sg* devices are generic SCSI devices.  Each SCSI device has an
>> associated sg device that is different from the device that you would
>> normally use to access the drive, and may provide some extra
>> functionality.  If the drive is recognized as device sdb, then you
>> should be mounting /dev/sdb*.

> I would if I could.  When the drive is hotplugged it is assigned to
> /dev/sg1 not /dev/sb1.  That is the problem.

It *only* gets assigned to /dev/sg1?  On my machine, when I just tried
plugging in my USB drive, it gets assigned to *both* /dev/sda and
/dev/sg0.

Does dmesg say anything useful?  How do you know it's recognized as
device sdb if there's no /dev/sdb?

--
Hubert Chan - email & Jabber: hubert@uhoreg.ca - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA   (Key available at wwwkeys.pgp.net)