Re: Jumpdrive Not A Block Device?

On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 12:41:00 -0400, "Thomas H. George" <lists@tomgeorge.info> said:

> With Etch it is recognized as SCSI device sdb and located at /dev/sg1.
> It cannot be mounted, mount fails with a message that /dev/sg1 is not
> a block device.

The sg* devices are generic SCSI devices.  Each SCSI device has an
associated sg device that is different from the device that you would
normally use to access the drive, and may provide some extra
functionality.  If the drive is recognized as device sdb, then you
should be mounting /dev/sdb*.

> What I really wanted to do was install Damm Small Linux on this drive.
> cdrecord -scanbus recognized it as SCSIbus 4: 4,0,0 and I hoped I
> could just overwrite the existing vfat file system with the
> dsl-3.0.1.iso.  This did not work.  cdrecord stopped with the
> messages:

>       Device seems to be: Generic CCS Disk Sorry, no CD/DVD-drive
> found on this target.

Huh?  You're trying to use a CD burning program to write to a USB stick?
I can't imagine that that would have any chance of working.

--
Hubert Chan - email & Jabber: hubert@uhoreg.ca - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA   (Key available at wwwkeys.pgp.net)