Jumpdrive Not A Block Device?

I cannot access my Jumpdrive from a Etch box with a 2.6.15 kernel.

I have successfully used this Lexar 256 MB Jumpdrive Pro (usb 2.0) with Sarge box and a 2.6.11 kernel compiled from source.

With Sarge it is recognized as SCSI device sda and located at /dev/sda1. It can be mounted and has a vfat file system.

With Etch it is recognized as SCSI device sdb and located at /dev/sg1. It cannot be mounted, mount fails with a message that /dev/sg1 is not a block device.

What I really wanted to do was install Damm Small Linux on this drive. cdrecord -scanbus recognized it as SCSIbus 4: 4,0,0 and I hoped I could just overwrite the existing vfat file system with the dsl-3.0.1.iso. This did not work. cdrecord stopped with the messages:

      Device seems to be: Generic CCS Disk
      Sorry, no CD/DVD-drive found on this target.

I would appreciate any suggestions as to how to solve this problem.

Tom George